Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Walk in the Cul De Sac


“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.” 


As I went online today to finish my second blog for this year @ The Lightness of Being on the Bike, I was amazed to find the enhanced picture (see sunrise photo, above) on my Google images of a photo I took, when I went out for a very short walk out this morning.

It is only this year, that I am using the special feature, where you can automatically upload pictures taken with your smartphone to your Google+ account.

This has helped blogging @ Happy Feet in the Netherlands so much easier.

It helped revived my love for taking pictures along the biking route, I take daily the whole year around.


In, "Once Upon A Sunny Morning in Ankeveen", I was able to share how my morning was, and retell the story of how I have overcome the challenge of adjusting to the biking lifestyle here in the Netherlands.







This was very fulfilling - telling one's story.

I came back here to tell stories.  Simple stories, I would not like to forget.

Before I wrote the first blog @ The Lightness of Being on the Bike, I saw a post of a friend on FB about the documentary over Joan Didon's - We Tell Ourselves Stories In Order To Live.  It is the same title of her book, which is  a collection of her non-fiction works.

Watching the teaser of the documentary only strengthened my resolve to keep on writing.



I would like to share our stories, the beautiful stories of my family,  and what made me strong, kept me strong and continues to keep me strong to be there not only with my physical presence but with my whole being.

When one has a bipolar disorder, simple things can be difficult but at the same time the simple things are exactly what brings back the most deep felt joy.

I am back here @ My Daily Mooosings in the Netherlands to make sure I won't forget that there are many simple things that brings joy in our life, and hopefully might bring joy in other's life too.

The simple life in the Netherlands…what is a simple life story?

For example, this simple walk in our cul de sac.

Cul de sac - I fell in love with that word, the first time I read it.  I think I was in grade school.  I can't exactly remember now.

2 years ago, when circumstances led us to living in a house in a cul de sac, I thought I would write about this.

But I never took the time to do so.

Today, I can tell you a short story involving our cul de sac.

This morning, it snowed, and when I woke up (after an upsetting night), I knew I would not be able to bike and bring the girls to school because I would not be feel confident and secure enough on the bike.

Each year, I take a fall in Winter from my bike no matter how careful I am.

This year, I am determined not to take a fall.

I asked two parents from the girls school to help me out.  They did not hesitated.  They've offered their help many times before in the past 4 years.



The girls went happily and safely to school in a warm car of a very thoughtful mom!

Instead of going straight to the house, I took pictures before I slowly walked back home.  I love the smell of the morning air.  Even the cold air that hit my face as a greeting, brought a smile to my face.







As I turned towards the path leading to home, the sunrise coming from our cul de sac sweetly beckoned me to take more pictures.  I would have normally said to myself, "Tomorrow…another sunrise..."

But not this time.  It seemed to have said to me with bright celebratory colors, "Good job for finally reaching out to others and asking for help!". I had to acknowledge it!




original non-enhanced picture of sunrise above

“How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. … It shines on a good many folk, but on none, I dare bet, who are on a stranger errand than you and I. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of Nature!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment