Sunday, June 16, 2013

Moving to a New "FB Home"

I think there is something more important than believing: Action! The world is full of dreamers. There aren’t enough who will move ahead and begin to take concrete steps to actualize their vision. -W. Clement Stone
a web-cam image documenting the evening of our move from Germany to the Netherlands, March 2009

Last Friday, I deactivated my first ever FB account after 4 years of reminiscing how life was before I moved from Germany to the Netherlands, and consequently recording there our early life in a small village here in North Holland.

My last profile and cover photo from my deactivated FB account

Closing the old FB account was not as easy as I thought it would be. But something I truly had to do.

Moving on to another chapter in your life sometimes requires a "symbolic ritual". At least in my case.

Deactivating that account (as originally planned a long time ago) is an attempt to close one chapter and move on to the next with a sharper focus on applying lessons I have learned in life with much vigour.

I am not re-inventing who I am, with the new FB account I created.

Deactivating the old account (not me as a person!) is my way of shedding an old skin (for lack of a better word!) I no longer feel is a part of me, and delaying the inevitable (i.e. holding on too much - once again - to the past) is hindering me from reinforcing the positive changes, we are working on applying in our lives.

There were so much gained through various very open interactions (on various posts & PMs) on that  FB account ; they all helped us a lot adjust to our new life here in the NL. As well, as help me get through over some personal issues.

There is nothing wrong with being a very open person, in my opinion, but I've opened myself too much (by choice) online. Although I profited and learned a lot through this openness, I've also in the process opened myself to a lot of hurt.

My new FB account

What I have learned on my way to strengthening myself : I should focus on continuously and consistenly reinforcing positive learned behaviour, which will help me and my family have a stable, balance life.  A life of quality.

I feel, I can do this by starting afresh, and consciously being more aware of how I interact publicly/online.

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment