Saturday, February 26, 2011

Holding Hands & Hearts



While relaxing with the littlest today, watching yet again Mickey Mouse classic* online, she reached out to hold my hand; this is something I have done with the girls when we are sitting side by side, simply reaching out to hold their hands.

After waiting for the clip to end, I asked her if I could take a picture of our hands together for tonight's 365 ~ self-portraits.  She complied, and I had to quickly do it before she became impatient to resume her viewing fun!

I love holding hands; it has always had a calming effect on me.  Now it seems - with the littlest completing the circle - that all the girls have found comfort with this shared moment, as well.

There is a simple wordless conveying of affection with this gesture.  Unlike a hug (not a cuddle in this case), which you can normally, only hold for a certain amount of time, holding hands can go for longer moments.  One  can also walk while holding hands, which is obviously not possible with an affectionate hug. 

From my experience, when I have had misunderstandings with members of the family, a simple reaching out with the hand eases the tension.

I feel, when we reach out with our hands, we are opening our hearts to let love flow.


Have you held hands with your love ones lately?

*postscript to this blog 

I have been finding more and more joy in watching Mickey Mouse classic with the littlest.  Her laughter is simply infectious.  Please click on the link if you would like to search for them in youtube: list of Mickey Mouse classic.


And I am saving this other link for my own reference: Mickey Mouse Theatrical cartoon list

Enjoy!



25 comments:

  1. I'm sure your kid would love holding hands with Mickey's big HAND. Yeah holding hands has a calming effect and even when you think about it the one of the reason we have spaces between fingers is to be able to hold hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, you have great intuitions, Franc. The Littlest looks forward to meeting Mickey. :)

      Very insightful thought about the spaces between our fingers.

      Delete
  2. aaww. holding hands definitely calms people down. especially when they're going through something really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Brenna.

      I agree. Holding a hand, when words fail, has a powerful effect effect in itself.

      Delete
  3. This image of you holding hands just made my day. I'm up late working as usual but it has reminded me that I too have too little ones that would like to hold my hands now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that is great to know, funny girl!

      Delete
    2. Oh just commented on your blog! You have indeed chosen a great username. Your blog was written with so much humour. :D

      Delete
  4. Well holding your hands, It's almost as if holding your friends, mother , father or even partner's hands , IT is like a drug that effectively reduced pain and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such gesture really does make it all worth any BS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holding hands is a wonderful form of assurance between mother and child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww....so sweet. I'm happy for you for that great bonds between you and your family! Stay that way. Keep that love alive! (Children will definitely treasure this and will be reminded after several years : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ric!

      As much as we hope that our girls will treasure moments shared with us, we are treasuring these in our hearts for the time that they are living their own lives and we have to let go of them into the wide world. WE feel it's enjoying every precious time we can have with them.

      Delete
  8. My husband and I and even our daughter do hugs each time every minute of the day! we believe it relaxes us in some ways! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hugs are truly calming! Specially with our children. :)

      Delete
  9. Holding hands is to kissing of the lips.


    Rizza (beingwell)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. :) At least this is how I feel when hubby reaches out for my hand!

      Delete
  10. Aww... My baby doll holds my hand sometimes while I'm on the netbook. Obviously to grab my attention, but who could resist a tot holding you hand and gives you the biggest smile?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holding hands always feels good ... I love it and B and I always do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are one lucky mommy, Kathy and B is one lucky child! :)

      Delete
  12. My daughter loves holding hands too. We do it while watching movies or while simply chatting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it one of the sweetest gesture in the world?! :)

      Delete