Monday, February 21, 2011

Grasping Time


An affirmation quote to end the day...

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
Sydney J. Harris 


Lately, I have been thinking more and more of years passed.  

Perhaps because in less than four weeks, I am one year away from reaching a milestone in my life.  This year is my last year in my 30's.  I feel as if life whoosed by.  


When we brought the girls to Germany last Saturday, I brought a notebook and a pencil case filled with pencils, coloured pens hoping to write again thoughts with my own handwriting.  Funny, how this has become more and more of a novelty, writing with a pen on paper.


Before we reached the border, I have written down the 39 years that has passed in my life in chronological order. I encircled years that played a prominent role in shaping my life.  Then, I begun writing how I feel about the year 1972, my birth year. Not from the historical perspective nor from what was told to me about that year through stories of the family but simply the the year as collective numbers of 1, 9, 7, 2.


At this point, I am still undecided whether I should write memoirs of the last 4 decades of my life, as a way of grasping time, grasping my existence.


How do you grasp time?



No comments:

Post a Comment